Apr 13, 2010

THE PREPARATION

Getting ready for the art show has been an adventure! I missed out on this aspect during my undergrad because I received a BS in Art Education. I was only 3 classes short of having a BFA, and one of those classes was Senior Seminar. Senior Seminar was a class that prepared you for being an artist as a profession and putting together a show. All students with a BFA or BFA Teacher Prep had a senior show. I've had small showings before, but nothing to this scale. I am so glad that Janet Malone was doing this with me, because I would have not been able to do this on my own. I see that no artist should be an island!!! At least I know I can not.
For the show, I decided to go back into several of my pieces and make changes so that there was more of an overall cohesive feel to my work. I also opted to complete a series (The Four Seasons) that I had abandoned one semester. Laying all the work out, I feel good about the choices I've made, and that the collection is a good representation of my as an artist.
Framing and matting art can be almost as stressful as creating the art. You can really do your work injustice if you pick the wrong frames, colors, or mat the work poorly. I decided to go with all black. This works well with my use of heavy black lines in my work, and allows the color to truly pop.
Though it is a great deal of work, I know that the show is going to be amazing & it will all be worth it on opening night!

No comments:

Post a Comment